Monday, December 14, 2009

Watergate Cake with Cover-Up Frosting


Photo courtesy of Wendolonia blog

Okay so we just got a brand spankin' new Dell computer as a Christmas gift to ourselves, and in transferring files from the old computer to the new one I found some blogs like Wendolonia that I haven't been to in a while.

If you need a new and unique way to keep your kids interested in lunch, check out some of her crafty bento lunch ideas!

Anyway, I was browsing through old posts on her blogs and I came across this one which she calls a "Pistachio Pudding Cake". I wanted to use my camera to take pictures but apparently the battery has died on me. I had everything I needed but the club soda and pistachio pudding mix, so off to the store I went in the cold rain last night!

Moving right along...if you have no clue as to what Watergate is or who Richard Nixon was and why he resigned as president, you might want to get your history lesson so you can understand the name behind this cake recipe.

Here is the recipe from Wendolonia's blog:

**I will caution you that if you google it, you may find white cake mix instead of yellow, and ginger ale instead of club soda. I used the recipe from Wendolonia's blog for my cake.**

Watergate Cake with Cover Up Frosting
One box yellow cake mix
one box instant pistachio pudding mix
3 large eggs
1 cup club soda
1 cup oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish.Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Mix wet ingredients with eggs, blending with a whisk. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix with whisk.
Pour into pan and bake for 35-45 minutes (you will discover from Wendolonia's blog that she burned the bottom of her cake, but her oven also runs hot.) I did my cake for 45 minutes.

For the frosting, you will need:
Two packages of Dream Whip (they come two to a box!!)
one box instant pistachio pudding mix
1 1/2 cups cold milk

Mix milk and dream whip until thickened. Add pudding mix and blend well. Spread frosting on top of cooled cake. Enjoy!

My thoughts: I absolutely love cakes that are very simple, like Mrs. Karen's chocolate cake that I will post sometime soon, but cakes that add pudding mix for some reason are just super moist. And it doesn't take a genius, even someone who doesn't bake, to put together a cake with these simple and easy steps.
When I finally got a chance to taste the cake, the frosting reminds me of Watergate Salad which I can not stand! I just don't like the combination of cool whip, nuts, and pineapple. I would be okay with pineapple in this frosting, and it might give it a unique flavor if you added it to this frosting and cake mixture. But it is just as good made according to the recipe! It might be a good cake for summer BBQs and pool parties. But those are just my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment