Saturday, November 7, 2009

Crock Pot Taco Soup



Okay so I know Amy has her own taco soup recipe and she might be willing to share it with you, but the night I wanted taco soup I did not have the time or energy to try to locate Amy (i.e., call her on the phone) and find out what it was.

So I had my sister google a recipe instead, and read me the ingredients list as I walked the aisles of the grocery store.

Once I got home with my purchase, I realized that the idea of refried beans in my taco soup just sounded...well, disgusting. So I tossed the idea of taco soup out for dinner that night, and went back to the store the next day to swap out for different ingredients. Here is the recipe I found (and loved!):

Crock pot Chicken Taco Soup
1 onion, chopped
16 oz can of chili beans, undrained
15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can of whole kernel corn, drained
8 oz can tomato sauce (mine was italian seasoned-what I had on hand!)
1 cup chicken broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
14.5 oz can Rotel (I used mild)
1 packet of taco seasoning
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used two 6 oz. packs of the already cooked Fajita seasoned Tyson strips!)

I also added in a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix.
And don't forget the shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips!

The recipe said to put all ingredients in the crock pot and then place the chicken on top, cooking for 7-8 hours on low. Then you take the chicken out and dice it, adding it back to the soup. Since I had already cooked chicken strips, I just diced them up with my Pampered Chef chopper and added them at the very beginning.

I still think I cooked my soup for about 6-7 hours, and it was WONDERFUL! Plus the weather the night we had it was rather chilly, so it was just perfect for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment