Monday, November 2, 2009

It's Like Lasagna, But All Rolled Up!

I love lasagna and came across this recipe in my Kraft Food and Family magazine. I decided I just had to give it a try. It turned out really good. I'll share the recipe and then share my thoughts on what I would do differently. The recipe and instructions are from the Kraft website.

Cheese-Lover's Pasta Roll-Ups
1 egg, beaten
1 container (15 oz.) Ricotta Cheese
2 cups KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Italian Three Cheese Blend
4 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce, divided
16 lasagna noodles, cooked
1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat oven to 375ºF. Mix first 5 ingredients until well blended. Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish. Spread each noodle with 3 Tbsp. cheese mixture; roll up. Place, seam-sides down, in dish. Top with remaining sauce and Parmesan; cover. Bake 40 to 50 min. or until heated through, uncovering the last 10 min

Make Ahead
Assemble recipe as directed; cover with heavy-duty foil. Refrigerate up to 24 hours, then bake, covered, 1 hour 5 min. or until heated through, uncovering the last 10 min. Or, freeze up to 1 month. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake, covered, 1 hour 5 min. or until heated through, uncovering the last 10 min.

One Effort, Two Meals! Assemble roll-ups as directed; place half in each of 2 (9-inch) square baking dishes. Bake one as directed and keep the other for later. Cover with heavy-duty foil. Freeze up to 1 month. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake, covered, 1 hour 5 min. or until heated through, uncovering the last 10 min.

Amy's Thoughts:
  • When boiling lasagna noodles, do your best to not stick your hand into a pot of boiling water, not once, but twice.

  • On second thought, just drain most of the water out of the pot when the noodles are finished cooking so you don't stick your hand into a pot of boiling water.
  • Although this is a delicious meatless meal, I imagine it would also be very good if you wanted to add some ground beef into the cheese mixture.

  • I substituted the lower fat skim version of ricotta cheese and it tasted just fine.

  • I used the chunky garden variety of spaghetti sauce and liked that it gave some extra veggies and a lot of extra taste!

  • My roll-ups weren't quite as pretty as those pictured above, mostly because of the second degree burns on my hands that I was trying to deal with, but they were just as tasty!

I served the pasta roll-ups with some English peas and we have enough left over for tonight. I'll definitely be making this again soon! Try it out and let me know what you think. Have a great day!

**Updated** These reheated really well, and Jeremy and I both think they tasted better the second time around. Just FYI!

1 comment:

  1. I use basically the same "guts" (I add parm. cheese & garlic), stuff manicotti shells or jumbo shells, and pour sauce over. It can be quite messy, so I think I'll try using lasagna noodles next time. I use the lower fat ricotta too.

    ReplyDelete