Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Amy's Apple Dumplings

Since Miranda gave you a little bit of her cooking background, I guess I need to do the same. To be totally honest, I don't think I did much cooking, other than scrambled eggs, until I moved to Auburn as a freshman, and then I realized that food doesn't just magically appear on the table all by itself! I can't tell you how many times I would call my mom asking her how she cooked this or that, and she was graciously patient with me until I figured out "how in the world do I cook ____ " without calling my Mama! Now I've figured out my own cooking style (which has been greatly influenced by my Mom!) and I still cook as simply as she does!

I didn't grow up eating food cooked with fancy herbs and spices, and I wouldn't know the difference between rosemary and thyme if you offered me a million dollars! My spice cabinet consists of salt, sea salt, Lawry's seasoning salt, Lawry's garlic salt, black pepper, cinnamon, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, chili powder, taco seasoning and that's about it. I'm not exaggerating with my simplicity! I will never, ever share a recipe that calls for some fancy, schmancy seasoning like dill or basil. It's not gonna happen! About as wild as I get would be minced garlic, and even that is out of a jar! And where Miranda is very exact with her measurements, I tend to be a bit more "pinch of this" and "dash of that" with my cooking.

I absolutely LOVE my crock pot, and am obsessed with finding recipes that are simple, quick to fix, and are somewhat healthy for my family to eat. I have a three year old at home, so if supper can't be fixed in less than an hour, not counting crock pot meals, then it won't be cooked in my house! Oh, and I hardly ever fry stuff unless you count homemade onion rings or fried green tomatoes about 2 times a year!

With all that being said, let's bring on the recipe! I found this recipe on a blog that I stumbled onto, and I hate to say it, but I have no idea whose recipe it is. I wish I could give them credit, because y'all, this dessert recipe is life changing. It's that good. But since I've changed the recipe up just a tad, so I guess it's fair for me to call it my own now!

Amy's Apple Dumplings
2 packages of Crescent Rolls (Do not let them get room temp. They need to be cold)
1-1/4 cup of sugar
3 Granny Smith apples
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 sticks of butter
1 cup of Mt. Dew
Preheat oven to 350

Here is everything you need!

Peel and slice apples into 8 slices each (Use an apple wedge if you have it. We couldn't find ours.)

Wrap each slice in a crescent roll triangle and place in ungreased 13x9 inch baking pan. I put a few smaller pieces of apple in each crescent roll with 1 or 2 bigger pieces. It just depended on the size. Mostly I just eyeballed it!

Combine butter, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan and cook on medium low, stirring until it becomes a gravy-like consistency.

Keep stirring so it doesn't burn!

See how it looks like gravy!

Pour the mixture over the wrapped apples. Make sure to spread it out really good and cover all the crescent rolls. Pour the Mt. Dew arond the edges of the crescent rolls. You can also pour it on top, just don't wash off the sugary stuff. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. (Don't be afraid of the Mt. Dew. It gets soaked up and turns everything into a glaze!)

After 30 minutes, place a piece of aluminum foil loosely over the pan and bake covered for 15 more minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. See all that cinnamony goodness on top! It's so delicious! Spoon some out and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy! You can always tell yourself it's healthy because it does contain apples. At the very least, it's a good dose of fiber! I hope you love this as much as I do!

3 comments:

  1. This doesn't look to horribly hard to make. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made these before and they are so, so delicious and easy. I found the recipe on Pioneer Woman's website (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/02/apple_dumplings/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had these before, too! I love them, but didn't have the recipe written down! Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete