Monday, October 26, 2009

Coca-Cola Cake

I'm usually not a fan of chocolate cake. At weddings I always, without fail, go for the bride's cake. I have found my chocolate cake exception.

After my Tres Leche cake flop, my Mom told me that I just had to try making a Coca-Cola cake. She swears by Cracker Barrel's version and told me that I would just love it. So I gave it a shot. Here's the recipe she gave me to try straight out of her Coca-Cola recipe book:

Coca-Cola Cake
2 cups plain unsifted flour
1 cup sugar
2 sticks butter or margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coca-Cola (NOT Diet Coke)
½ cup buttermilk
2 eggs beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups of miniature marshmallows

Sift the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl. In a saucepan heat the butter, cocoa and coca-cola until they boil. Pour this over the flour and sugar mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the buttermilk , eggs, baking soda, vanilla and marshmallows and mix well. The batter will be thin and the marshmallows will come to the top. Bake at 350 in a greased sheet pan (2x12x14 inches) for 30-35 minutes.

Icing
1 stick of butter or margarine (melted)
3 tablespoons of cocoa
7 tablespoons of Coca-Cola
I box of confectioners sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix the first three ingredients well and pour over the confectioners sugar. Mix well and pour over the cake while it is still warm. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

My only diversion from the original recipe was that I used a greased 13x9 inch dish. I didn't have the other size. My cake turned out delicious! It was so simple to make, especially considering it was from scratch, not very expensive, and I had most of the ingredients already around the house.

My Mom had a piece and she loved it also! She pronounced it more "brownie like" than Cracker Barrel's version, but it was so good! The whole family loved it! And seriously, the icing is so delicious I tried to drink the leftovers as I was mixing it. The icing would be amazing to just pour straight over vanilla ice cream if you ever wanted a quick chocolate fix. It was still warm from the melted butter when I poured it over the warm cake and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream it was so delicious!

Jeremy quickly told me that I had to make it again. Like the next day. It was that good! If you are eating the cake as leftovers, pop it into the microwave for about 10 seconds and get icing warmed up again. Give it a shot and let me know what you think. It's life changing!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try this at CB. Now I can just make it myself! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete