Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chicken Soup for your Soul (is it in your belly?)

Okay so this morning when I went out to my car to crank it before work (and crank up the heater!) my car's thermometer said it was FOURTY EIGHT DEGREES outside.
Then my car wanted to protest about starting under such harsh conditions. I don't know how people up north do it - in the teens and below zero. I'd never survive!

So in honor of the wonderfully chilly weekend temperatures, I'm going to share a recipe for homemade chicken soup given to me by a church member named Amy (no, not the one I blog with!)

I made this soup Thursday night when it was humid and rainy, and am enjoying the leftovers for lunch today.

Homemade Chicken Soup
Special note: this is not Amy's exact recipe, because I altered it a little.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, stewed and either chopped or shredded
2 cans of chicken broth (I used bouillon granules to make my broth)
1 can of Veg All (undrained)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 Cup of cooked Minute rice (I measured out one cup and microwaved it)
Parsley
Salt & Pepper to taste

I did mine the night before. I boiled the chicken and while it was boiling I put everything else in the crock pot. Once the chicken was done I stirred it in and then put the crock pot in the refrigerator. Bryan put it in the crock pot before he left for work the next day, and by the time I got home it was DONE! I am not a big fan of eating condensed soup, although I like to cook with it. This has just the right amount of flavor and warmth to me, and also just the right amount of broth. It actually called for half and half or cream, but I forgot to add it and it was STILL awesome!

Oh and also on Friday night, Amy, Jackson, and Jeremy came over to test out a recipe for Hot Tomato Grits and a sponge cake Amy made! Come back Monday to see us share those recipes, AND our thoughts on how the meal turned out! - Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment